Not sure what you want? Begin saving pictures from magazines that appeal
to your tastes. Soon, you will notice a pattern developing with regard to style,
and color preferences.
When initiating a color plan for your home, think about the colors that make
you feel comfortable. (A quick look in your closet might give you a jump-start.)
Accent colors may be introduced into a space as subtly as with fresh flowers,
or bowl of fruit.
- Pink is very flattering to skin tones.
- Neutrals make a perfect background for contrasting colors,
one vivid accent color.
- Use at least three shades of a color in a monochromatic scheme.
Be sure the mid-tone values are represented.
- Recognize that color is mood-altering, and select accordingly.
- Use cool colors to make an area appear larger.
- Opt for warm colors when a cozier atmosphere is desired.
These colors are also great to use when there is a lack of natural light.
- Use similar values of different hues to create a flow from one room to the next. The result will be unified, yet different.
It is just as important to consider where the colors are going to be used,
as it is to consider which colors are going to be used. For instance, a color
on the wall
has much more impact than it would in a piece of art.
Use an inspiration piece, such as a favorite patterned fabric or wallpaper
for clues as to which colors to integrate, and in what quantities.
Cool colors are at their best when used in areas with plenty of natural light,
as they can create a dank atmosphere in dark spaces.
Use contrasting colors at full intensity only if the effect you are after is lively and active.
For a serene and calming effect in a space such as a bedroom, use cool colors.
Yellow, at full value, is not a restful color. Use this color sparingly, especially
in an infant’s bedroom.
Color appears in areas of a room other than just the paint and fabric.
Consider coloration of all materials to be located within the same area.
Ceilings don’t have to be white. If you have color on your walls, one idea
is to mix a cupful of the wall color into each gallon of white ceiling paint,
for a subtle cohesiveness.
- Begin your project only after you’ve developed your color plan.
- Spread your favorite colors around.
- They might not all work in the same room.
- Window frames and sills painted a glossy, bright, white
allow the sunlight to radiate.